Summary Of Results
RETURN ON INVESTMENT
CO₂ SAVINGS PER YEAR
Ashburton Pool & Recreation Centre gets major overhaul as part of a Low Carbon Strategy
The City of Boroondara is in Melbourne’s inner and middle eastern suburbs, five kilometres east of the central business. The Council is a member of the Eastern Alliance for Greenhouse Action (EAGA) a collaborative organisation of nearby councils to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Council issued an Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) Tender with an 11-Year payback threshold as one of the main return on investment criteria for the EPC.
3E Group was successful in winning the EPC tender for an energy conservation project in a number of buildings within the City of Boroondara. Ashburton Pool & Recreation Centre (APARC) was a significant building within the contracted project.
3E Group was engaged to replace the existing aged Building Management System to allow much finer control of all major energy-using equipment on site, as well as major asset investment such as boiler replacements and voltage regulation.
THE SOLUTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN APARC ARE:
- The replacement of all remaining non-LED lights to high performance LED light fittings
- The replacement of 25-year old boilers to high efficiency condensing boilers
- The replacement of the building’s Building Management System to an all-new Niagara based platform
- Voltage Reduction Units to save on the energy consumed on-site
- Variable control strategy on pool pumps which balances energy savings, heat exchange, filtering and chemical loads
- Variable speed controls on air and waterside circuits in the HVAC system, reducing electrical loads during non-peak periods
3E Group has also undertaken Measurement & Verification (M&V) to International Performance Measurement Protocols and standards (IPMVP Evo.org). 3E Group has guaranteed the savings over a 10-Year period for the entire EPC – which significantly reduces the Council’s financial risk over the payback period for this project.”