2022 – A significant year for both 3E Group and our clients
As 2022 draws to a close, we reflect on what has been a significant year for 3E Group and the organisations we’ve partnered with. The company has gone from strength to strength – in terms of recognition, growth, and delivering successful outcomes for the projects we’ve been entrusted with by organisations seeking to become more sustainable.
Telstra Business Award for Promoting Sustainability
2022 started on a high note as the 3E Group was declared the State Winner (VIC) for Promoting Sustainability at the Telstra Best of Business Awards in February. Two months later, the company was honoured as a National Finalist for Promoting Sustainability at the 2022 Telstra Best of Business Awards (finals) held in Sydney.
Company Celebrates 20th Year Anniversary
In March 2022, the company celebrated its 20th anniversary. For more than 20 years now, 3E Group (formerly Ecosave Australia & NZ) has helped thousands of organisations reduce their energy costs and carbon emissions through engineering-based energy efficiency and emission reduction solutions.
A lot has changed over the last two decades, with a great deal of technological advancements and many more organisations becoming increasingly aware of their environmental impact. Yet, since our founding in 2002, our passion and core focus has remained the same: to help organisations reduce their reliance on polluting resources and accelerate their transition towards a sustainable, Net Zero future through scalable energy efficiency and emission redution solutions.
Financial Backing from Impact Fund and John Clifford
In July 2022, 3E Group received funding from Palisade Impact and John Clifford to accelerate growth in our capabilities to implement Net Zero Solutions for organisations.
The alignment of core values and investment focus was a key consideration for both parties to proceed with the investment.
Soon after the investment from Palisade Impact and John Clifford, the company acquired CarbonetiX, a Melbourne-based sustainability advisory company specialising in carbon auditing, carbon accounting and carbon reporting services. The acquisition is aligned with 3E Group’s strategy to accelerate growth and expand its breadth of offering.
Company Rebranding from Ecosave to 3E Group
The meaning behind 3E Group is based on three pillars of our core expertise around Energy, Emissions and Efficiency and how we integrate various solutions to maximise energy efficiency and reduce emissions in pursuit of achieving our clients’ sustainability targets.
While our name will change, our passion and core focus remains the same. We’re committed to partnering with organisations to deliver on their net zero commitments and achieve their sustainability goals.
More importantly, 2022 has also been a year where 3E Group has continued to help organisations reduce their energy consumption and carbon emissions profile.
Below are a selection of recent examples of how we are helping organisations progress towards achieving their targets.
Examples of how 3E Group is helping reduce carbon emissions
3E Group Undertaking Energy Audits for St John of God Hospitals: Geelong, Berwick and Bendigo
Having successfully completed chiller and boiler replacement projects at St John of God’s Warrnambool and Ballarat facilities previously, St John of God have partnered with 3E Group to deliver Type 2 Energy Audits for Geelong, Bendigo and Berwick hospitals. These hospitals range in size from 17,000 sqm to 27,000 sqm and have between 160-280 beds.
The Energy Audits are being undertaken in accordance with AS/NZ standards and conducted by our team of highly experienced energy auditors and sustainability engineers that have extensive health sector experience. The Energy Audits are part of a larger plan by St John of God to identify and implement energy cost savings and emission reduction measures in line with their environmental sustainability objectives.
NBMLHD partners with 3E Group to implement energy savings and emissions reduction measures across Five Hospitals
3E Group (formerly Ecosave) were engaged by Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District through an Energy Performance Contract to implement energy savings and emission reduction measures across five hospitals including Nepean Blue Mountains Hospital, Springwood, Lithgow, Portland and Blue Mountains ANZAC Memorial Hospitals.
Key components of the project include:
- 16,850 LED lights upgraded with new lighting controls across all five NBMLHD sites
- 1,024 kilowatts (kW) of solar PVs is set to be installed across the portfolio
- Over 250 electricity, gas and thermal energy submeters will be installed to enable NBHMLHD to get a more detailed understanding of their energy usage including future areas for improvement
- Automation and analytics have been set up to enable NBMLHD to optimise performance of the hospitals going forward
- Lithgow and Springwood Hospital underwent mechanical equipment upgrades (geothermal heat pumps, DHW & HHW equipment, VSDs) which also included building and energy management systems
The EPC is still ongoing, and its expected completion will be the second half of 2023.
From Zero to Four Star NABERS Energy Rating: 99 St Georges Terrace, Perth
Cygnet West is in its 3rd year of a 10 year engagement with 3E Group under an Energy Services Agreement where 3E Group funded and delivered upgrades to improve the NABERS Energy Rating at 99 St Georges Terrace. NABERS have recently published a case study on 99 St Georges Terrace, Perth outlining the impact of the works carried out by 3E Group.
- 99 St Georges Terrace in Perth’s CBD offers 6,123 square metres of net lettable area across 13 floors and 18 tenancies
- The building had an ageing central plant, a zero NABERS Energy rating and a 75% vacancy rate. Mesatech (owner) and Cygnet West (property manager) understood the importance of obtaining a high NABERS rating as most businesses are looking for a 3 star NABERS energy rating as a minimum
- They engaged 3E Group– a leading performance-based ESCO – who were able to provide a guarantee of 4 Star NABERS Energy Rating.
- 3E Group designed, funded and implemented more than $750,000 worth of energy efficiency upgrades and energy management solutions that elevated the NABERS rating from 0 to 4 Star NABERS Energy Rating. For a zero-dollar upfront cost, 99 St Georges Terrace received a full upgrade to its HVAC plant and metering.
- The owner is expected to save well over $100,000 in annual cost savings (energy and maintenance) when the building is fully leased.
Mesatech and Cygnet West now have the benefit of a high NABERS rating, which has improved year-on-year as they have increased the building’s occupancy. The building enjoys a high level of tenant retention, and are a step ahead in the market. Three tenants have expanded their space in the last six months – a great sign for the future of the asset.
There are several other projects and key updates that have transpired in the last few months and we look forward to sharing more updates in the near future.
If your organisation needs assistance with designing and implementing energy efficiency , electrification and/or emission reduction projects, please don’t hesitate to reach out and connect with us.
Head of Development Services,